If you’ve ever spent any time on Pinterest, you’ll have noticed that there are literally thousands and thousands of different card ideas. One unique card style that I love is the card in a box. This card is really nice that it folds flat for mailing or gift giving. Then when the recipient opens the card, it opens to a 3D box. This is such a neat effect for the person receiving the card.The novelty behind this card is that when it opens up, all sorts of stuff sticks out so you get the full effect. For my card base, I used one of those adorable mini Stampin Up shipping boxes in the catalog. These boxes are 3″ by 4″. Then I used a bunch of the different items from the It Starts With Art stamp set.
Here are a couple tips when making this card.
- The shipping boxes really are boxes so you’ll need to trim off the flaps on the bottom side of the box so it will fold flat for mailing.
- To fill the box, you’ll want to add cardstock panels across the middle (see above) so you can add various items to the center of the box for the pop-up.
- When making an interactive card, you’ll want to be sure to use a stronger adhesive like our tear & tape or glue dots to be sure everything stays put.
- I added a bit of the Stampin Up Washi across the front flap. To keep the bottom half of the washi from sticking to the box front, I added a bit of baby powder to the part that extends beyond the flap.
- I didn’t have bakers twine in the right colors to match my card, so I made my own. I cut two pieces of white twine approximately 2′ long each and colored them with my Blends markers.
What’s your favorite type of card? Comment below and tell me what you would like to see me make next.
If you’re thinking about joining the Stampin Up family, now is a great time. From July 1 until August 31, new demonstrators will receive an additional $30 in products with their Starter Kit, and then they’ll receive a $10 coupon code the following month. That’s $40 worth of EXTRA products when you join my team. Coupon codes will arrive between the fifth and seventh business day; they will expire on October 31, 2019. For $99, you’ll select $155 worth of products in your starter kit, plus the additional $10 off your order the following month.
I spy a sneak peak of August’s Paper Pumpkin kit. August’s kit will make six gift bags and twelve gift tags. Not a fan of gift bags? Then choose the add-on kit (Item #152885, $10) in my store. The add-on kit comes with 24 card bases and envelopes and will be available starting August 1st, while supplies last. Just click the Order Online button on the right and it will take you to my shop. You can sign up for August’s kit starting now. If you already have an ongoing subscription, this will ship automatically.
Check out our brand new Storage line! These products are now back in stock. Get them before they sell out again.