Well, I finished up my paintbrush experiment and it came out better than I hoped. I started by cutting off the dried hot glue from my first brushes that I had colored with re-inker. There was just no salvaging that hot glue. Every time I re-heated it, the red ink just ran out all over the place. So back to square one. I used the rope hot glue to glue the paintbrushes upright. The rope hot glue I purchased came in a 6′ length. I ended up having only 2′ left over when done.
First, let me back up a bit. I taped a silicone sheet to a box to get the right angle in the glue so it looks like it’s dripping. You can see the brushes curing here on the box.
Then I used acrylic paint to color each brush and the dried glue. The acrylic paint worked so much better than re-inker. It adhered surprising well to the dried hot glue.
This is what they look like sitting on my shelf all together.
They are supposed to look like wet paint brushes with paint dripping down.
I will admit that I was struggling with the counterbalance on the brushes since I glued them at a steep angle. They kept falling over since the brush was so heavy on the right side. I ended up using really strong magnets on the left side and then used an old magnet strip that I had laying around and set them on top of the magnet strip.
I’m happy with how the project turned out. It’s refreshing to create something totally different every now and then. It keeps the creative juices flowing. On to the next project.
Be sure to come back Wednesday to see the latest round of our “New at SU” blog hop. This time we’re sharing kids cards. We have some really great artists in the group. You definitely want to check out all the fabulous projects. Our Hop starts at 1:00 pm Pacific Time on Wednesday. See you then!